Communications Covenant for the Federated Church of Norfolk
As part of the Federated Church and a faithful follower of Jesus Christ, I live my life in accordance with His Will through the constant guidance of the Holy Spirit. With an eye toward doing God’s work and following his commands, I commit my heart and mind to this Communications Covenant:
When I Speak:
- I will speak to include my perspective as a valued part of God’s mosaic.
- I will speak with openness, honesty, kindness, and sensitivity.
- I will speak from factual information, and refrain from hurtful gossip.
When I Listen:
- I will listen attentively, being mindful not to interrupt or prejudge as the speaker’s thoughts develop.
- I will listen carefully and thoughtfully in order to understand the speaker’s perspective.
- I will listen with grace, forgiving when the sentiment is heart-felt but the wording is lacking.
When I Respond:
- I will affirm the merit in the speaker’s ideas, focusing first on the positive.
- I will ask questions to better understand their perspective.
- I will refrain from responding with offensive, hurtful or dismissive language.
- I will seek common-ground solutions which bring us together.
- I will take responsibility in our communication and share in the actions.
- If necessary, I will respectfully disagree, knowing that some time and space may be all that is missing for a resolution to emerge.
God supports loving relationships. Through His good grace and our sincere efforts, we shall fulfill his purpose.